Just hooked up a Compaq Amber Monitor!

toddvernon
Poster4
Poster4

Just hooked up a Compaq Amber Monitor!

Post by toddvernon »

So long story, but when I got my New Old-stock PCjr color display the eBay transaction was a little messed up and a first I got a Compaq Deskpro Amber screen monitor (CGI adaptor) 18VDC input. The sell never asked for it back. After a few weeks with the Color monitor and being deep deep into Turbo Pascal 3.0 all day yesterday I just couldn't take it anymore. So I busted out the Compaq, dug around inside (carefully) and figured out the voltage inputs and hooked it up to my bench power supply. Then hooked it up the Jr and ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, it was a breath of fresh air! So easy to read, etc.

I ordered a $10 small brick off amazon. Going to embed it in the case and I won't have to have the dumb power supply brick outside the case. There is plenty of room inside. It's an amazing light monitor. The picture is slightly rotated, which is easily fixable, but I don't have the guts to discharge and rotate the Yoke. I choose life :-)

I kinda want to the green screen ibm version now :-)
chuckphd53

Re: Just hooked up a Compaq Amber Monitor!

Post by chuckphd53 »

I have always liked the amber screens, had one back in the 80's and it was so crisp.
Actually was looking for one about 2 months back, nostalgia kicked in...
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
toddvernon
Poster4
Poster4

Post by toddvernon »

Got the mini-me power brick to put inside the monitor case today. If I get to it tomorrow, I'll shot some video and post.
chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

did you ever do the install ? curious...
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

Todd...Did you get the monitor running ? pictures?
The old Ambers were the best...