Rev 'C' JRIDE

chuckphd53

Rev 'C' JRIDE

Post by chuckphd53 »

Hoping to have the socket to program the flash chip next week then I can test the JRIDE fully.
I did test the Memory and all was good, the RTC will be next also...
More to come!
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)

chuckphd53

Re: Rev 'C' JRIDE

Post by chuckphd53 »

UPDATE:
I have the Rev 'C' board working after getting the socket to program the Flash chip.
was nice seeing the boot screen pop up..
but I have the same issue as Kevin had with the RTC.com file...
I can set the clock but cannot read the clock..
I have downloaded the supposed version of RTC.com that works and will try tonight...

I have an Alan made JRIDE board that the version of RTC.com I have seems to work just fine.
I wonder if it has something to do with the PCSprint / V20 chips versions.
I'll play with it and see if I can narrow it down a bit...
but first need to get it functional..
more to come...
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)

toddvernon

Post by toddvernon »

Unfortunately, there are two versions of the program floating around. One sets POST display on/off in addition to the time and one doesn't. As I recall the utility which sets the postcode, will not retrieve the time correctly. The other version that doesn't do anything with the POST display works both ways I believe. That's how it turned out on the TexElec board or me.

chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

can you email me that version...
I think a bit more may be going on....still investigating.
I tried three different rtc.com's with no luck that I found on Alans site.... I believe two were the same tho....

chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

Update :
I used rev'B' of the JRIDE schematics to re lay out my version of rev 'C' SMT board...
after I built the board and tested it all worked well except reading the RTC, similar to the issue Kevin was having..
My issue tho was a little different.... on Rev 'B' schems, there was NOT 32khz crystal on the Dallas chip..
In my hast to be sure I got the schem correctly I did not see this oversight. But the PCB Layout DID have the holes
for the crystal, so I have to assume the final schematic did not get uploaded to Alan's Trunk Site.
Anyway, my board without the crystal, would produce an error, generated from the rtc.com that reported 'error' then
put up some text that looked like a time stamp ie 3:55:55 etc etc.... I believe the rtc.com could not resolve the data
being read from the Clock chip, (no crystal to clock the registers) and it was just getting junk from those registers
that did not resemble a valid TIME..

I put a 32.768Khz crystal on this morning and of course the time reading was fine, powered on and off the system a few
times with no errors. Shut it down for about 1/2 hour and powered back up, again with no errors...

So I will call Rev 'C' good !
Plan on running a few tests with it and letting it run with a Hard drive this week to exercise it but pretty confident it is a working unit.

I will install it into the 3D printed case with hard drive and Fan and document this and put it on the Hardware page soon.

Any questions let me know....
Chuck

toddvernon

Post by toddvernon »

Great news! Can't wait to check it out!