Build a powered SCSI terminator?

Creekmore34
Poster3
Poster3

Build a powered SCSI terminator?

Post by Creekmore34 »

Greetings All,

In cleaning out some of my father's old junk (he was a lifelong IBMer), I've come across a mint IBM 3510 external SCSI housing configured with a single speed CDROM drive. I would love to hook this up to my PCjr via a Trantor / Adaptec APA-348 miniSCSI / parallel adapter which I also have.*

However, from what I can tell, the IBM 3510 does not employ a powered SCSI terminator. Something that appears to be required for the APA-348 to wake up and smell the coffee. One option would be to add a second SCSI device with a powered terminator at the end of the chain. I may do this, but I've already got an 8GB DOM on the jrIDE and a 2GB jrCART humming along just fine (plus my wife might pitch another "vintage" external enclosure out the back door, if it were to show up).

Has anyone ever added 5 volts to a SCSI terminator to give it power? Is this completely crazy? Can such a thing be done successfully?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Ryan

*Yes of course I could use number of other CDROM options out there (from Micro-Solutions, etc), but where would the fun be in that? This thing is SINGLE SPEED and weighs 10 pounds!