MCE2VGA CGA to VGA Solution

chuckphd53

MCE2VGA CGA to VGA Solution

Post by chuckphd53 »

Just picked up a MCE2VGA adapter from SERDASHOP.COM (Serge, owner was very helpful)
(UPDATE... This is also available at Texelec, as Sara).
If you decide to try this make sure you get the FPGA addon, this is needed.

This is a nice solution to get your PCjr or any other PC/TANDY CGA 80's machine and use your Flat screen VGA Display

It is a little pricey at just under $100 includes shipping, but the quality is really good.
And if you have shopped for an older CGA display, these are now going for $200-$500, and they are usually pretty beat up and
they not have the sharp video due to age.
The nice aspect about the MCE2VGA device is you fet the advantage of the non-pixel affect of the older CGA monitors for games.
I get the nostolgia factor of having the original monitors and I do have and really enjoy the 80's experience.
But when just enjoying the old software and games on your PC, it is hard on your eyes after hours of use.

I compared it to the (GGLABS CGA2RGB + GBS 8200) solution and it far out performs this combo.

Running Kings Quest on the PCjr the colors were clean and bright, not dithering, or edge distortion.
The Text mode did take some alignment, using the UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT buttons to center the video, I suspect each display will need
this to get a comfortable position for your viewing.

LGR (LazyGameReviews)Clint on Youtube did a good review of this device, so take a look, you may want to pick one up..

I may have to get another for my PCXT since I cannot find a nice IBM5153 monitor anymore, shame as this was my very first monitor
back in the day and it was nice.... :ugeek:

Chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)