ParkIt Hard Drive Park Program

chuckphd53

ParkIt Hard Drive Park Program

Post by chuckphd53 »

I decided to use the PARKIT program each time I shut down my JR with the JRIDE..

After having both a DOM and Maxtor HD get corrupted, I decided moving forward I would try parking the heads before shutdown..
Why: I am just concerned that at power up the heads sitting over my last area of work on the hard drive will get glitched.

Paranoid, maybe. but both times I had corrupted data, it was the area/files that I last worked on when the Jr was shut down.

I know the newer drives do not suffer from heads crashing like the Pre-90's drives.

I will keep an eye on this and make sure I have backups...

I wonder if the Racore /Rapport systems and other JR HD addons had ever seen this corruption activity.
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
KenEG
Poster3
Poster3

Re: ParkIt Hard Drive Park Program

Post by KenEG »

Chuck. I wonder if your are shutting down too soon after saving a file. Some systems cache writes to disk. If something on your system is doing this, shutting down without giving it some idle time to write the data can corrupt files. I seem to have a vague recollection of this issue from years ago. I think it was smart drive (smartdrv.exe or smartdrv.sys).
I never commit anything to memory because I can't rely on it. I write it down or print it out.
chuckphd53

Re: ParkIt Hard Drive Park Program

Post by chuckphd53 »

I do have smartdrv enabled .... I think will have to ck tonight....but this is good info...
and I do sometimes turn off quickly...
ie...
save files in TP7, Exit TP7 , then hit the off switch...
seems like enough time but you may be right !!..
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)