Atarii 800XL

Atari, Nintendo, VIC20, Commodore, TI, Tandy, Kaypro, etc.
chuckphd53

Atarii 800XL

Post by chuckphd53 »

KenEG ...
I noticed you have the 800XL, so wanted to know a little about it please.

I have wanted to get a Game system, Nintendo, or the like, but have seen the Atarii 800XL and wondered if there was a good
supply of games still around and most importantly, how playing experience on the system actually was...

Game controllers etc...are they any good ?

Your input is appreciated..
Chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
KenEG
Poster3
Poster3

Re: Atarii 800XL

Post by KenEG »

I actually have three Ataris; 600XL, 800XL, and 130XE. They are all mostly software compatible. There are a lot of arcade style games, but not many RPGs, which is what I like. I actually plan on selling the 800XL soon. I also have a 1050 disk drive for it. Check out atariage.com or more information on these systems. There are modern add ons to avoid diskettes. I have an SIO2USB that allows me to us a modern computer to download programs and then load them onto the Atari. My main system is the 130XE with SIO2USB and a 1050 disk drive with a card in it that lets me use double density disks and also speeds it up a lot.
I never commit anything to memory because I can't rely on it. I write it down or print it out.
chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

Thanks Ken.... good info..
I looked for some controllers for the 800XL and did not find anything that would be part of the original type setup...
but I will look at the link you suggested and check it out ..

I like the arcade type games....when in college I enjoyed the Starwars arcade that you had to shoot down the portal hole,
the scene that Luke skywalker had to run the gaunlet and blow up the deathstar :)
wish this was available for the Jr or even the PC.

super. thanks..
Chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
KenEG
Poster3
Poster3

Post by KenEG »

Atari, Commodore, and many other 8-bit computers use the same joysticks. They are digital so you really only reliably get 4 directions. You can get the diagonals, but sometimes hard to do. PC joysticks are analog. This allows finer control, but you have to calibrate them so they do nothing when centered. Digital joysticks don't have that issue.
I never commit anything to memory because I can't rely on it. I write it down or print it out.
chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

Ken, what is you thoughts on the Atari vs Nintendo NES ...

I had both back in the day, when my son was little, actually enjoyed the NES quite a bit, sitting in bean bafs playing Freddie Kruger for days trying to finish the game......

But remember the original Atari with TANK, and Race cars, wow sooooo cool.... even my mom enjoyed playing TANK....

I may have to consider both, as I just bought 9 acres and my son and I are going to build homes so I will have
a large room above the garage for all my junk....Man Cave... and since the wife has bad joints :( up and down the stairs
is not gonna happen... so it should not get that cluttered with her overflow :)

I may even get some bean bags :)
KenEG
Poster3
Poster3

Post by KenEG »

I would skip the bean bags. Not easy for us 'seniors' to get out of. If you think you might want the 800XL, let me know. I am in no hurry to sell it.
chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

Oh ok super... Thanks. I want to find out more about the 800XL sounds like a nice platform... gotta do my homework..
And yea the bean bags may be a stretch, 'literally' :ugeek: