Dr.DOS on the JR

chuckphd53

Dr.DOS on the JR

Post by chuckphd53 »

Has any one had Dr.DOS run on the Jr ?
Just curiuos what the difference is from that of the IBM DOS..
As I have never loaded it, or tried it ..
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
jamesO
Poster1
Poster1

Re: Dr.DOS on the JR

Post by jamesO »

I have not tried DR DOS on the PCjr. It is my understanding that it will not work in a standard PCjr because of a memory check. It might work on a PCjr with a jr Excellerator with it's jumper set to recognize all memory. This eliminates the requirement to use memory management software. I also breaks PCjr graphics compatibility.

I did use DR DOS in an IBM PC AT with a 386 speedup up board for several years. It worked great. The utilities were often superior to Microsoft's and available earlier.

How I started using DR DOS was interesting. I had an IBM PC AT that I upgraded with a 16 Mhz 386 board. I originally ran IBM PC DOS 3.3 on it. Ran great. Utilities showed it as fast as a 12 Mhz 386. I had memory management software that let me use my AST memory board as EMS, 4 MB, if I recall correctly. I tried IBM PC DOS 5.0 when it came out and nothing but base memory worked. I had heard that DR DOS 5 was functionally equivalent to MS DOS 3.31 so I tried it. Worked perfectly with all the advantages that would have come with IBM PC DOS 5.0. Besides hard drive support over 32 MB, I think DR DOS 5.0 let you load parts of DOS into high memory like IBM PC DOS 5. Stayed with DR DOS 5, then DR DOS 6, through my next computer, an 80486. My next computer was a Pentium with Windows 95 preinstalled.
chuckphd53

Re: Dr.DOS on the JR

Post by chuckphd53 »

That is interesting about the IBM AT. I bought an IBM5160 and have not yet played with it, but I suspect that Dr.DOS may work ok with it.

I have never used it but heard it had a few advantages. i will need to consider it when I get time...

Good info,thanks
Chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)