Tecmar Memory Expansions

PCjr discussions !
ICJjr99
Poster2
Poster2

Tecmar Memory Expansions

Post by ICJjr99 »

Hello, all. Getting into the PCjr again after a very long layoff... I am seeing PCjrs for sale on the internet, all with 128KB. The PCjr my family had in the 1980s (if my memory is correct) had sidecar memory expansions by a company called Tecmar, to take us to 640KB.

Is there a modern-day board or kit or something that expands the memory of PCjrs? I guess I am wondering if the common thing is to track down these expansion sidecars and install them to get to 640KB or if there is a different way that most people are expanding the memory of their PCjrs.
RiverBoa99
Poster4
Poster4

Re: Tecmar Memory Expansions

Post by RiverBoa99 »

Get a jrIDE from a reputable seller, like TexElec. It adds 640k, an IDE connection for a hard drive, and a system timer. Worth every penny if you're into this stuff.
ICJjr99
Poster2
Poster2

Re: Tecmar Memory Expansions

Post by ICJjr99 »

RiverBoa99 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:34 pm Get a jrIDE from a reputable seller, like TexElec. It adds 640k, an IDE connection for a hard drive, and a system timer. Worth every penny if you're into this stuff.
Awesome! Thanks so much. That explains why there aren't piles of messages trying to get the RAM - it's on the jr-IDE. :)

I ordered one and a Resound jr OPL3. I'm very excited!