Type in games?

Draxxon
Poster3
Poster3

Type in games?

Post by Draxxon »

I know systems like the Atari had magazines that featured Public Domain and other type in games that you type in yourself in BASIC.

Does anything like that exist for the PCJr? Are there any known, published games out there?
chuckphd53

Re: Type in games?

Post by chuckphd53 »

There are Many books on Jr programs
Check Ebay, most any 'basic' type book will work , you may have to
tweak the basic program to fit the Jr, but usually not a problem.

Also If you really want to experience the 'early Jr' get the Cassette recorder, and cable to save and load your programs,
this is a real trek back to the early days of basic :)
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
Draxxon
Poster3
Poster3

Post by Draxxon »

a cassette recorder is surely on my list, but I'm just getting started. :mrgreen: Is there a cassette recorder that is branded IBM PCJr or is there one that is preferred? The C64 one looks okay to me.

I was thinking of mainly games that were publish in magazines specifically for the PCJr, But, if any basic program can be tweaked and ported over, then that''s good news. Like you were saying, there are tons of books and stuff out there.
chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

I think the C64 cassette would work, If memory serves me I used a Radio Shack back in the day...
I think ebay has plenty of NOS cassette decks that will work.

I never saw a Jr Cassette deck...
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
Draxxon
Poster3
Poster3

Post by Draxxon »

This is what i was talking about. This book, How To Program Your IBM PCjr, has some type in games. A reaction test, Solitaire and Hasami Shogi.

https://archive.org/details/How_To_Prog ... 6/mode/2up
chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

Thanks for sharing..... just did a flashback to my Jr screen glowing in the early AM hours....
jneuhaus
Poster4
Poster4

Post by jneuhaus »

Compute had several books for the PC and also PCjr.

Compute!'s IBM & Compatibles BASIC Program Collection
Compute!'s First Book of IBM
Compute!'s Second Book of IBM

I thought I had more but don't see them at the moment. I learned to program by typing in tons of these programs when I was a kid :).
RLumpy

Post by RLumpy »

99er magazine which originally catered to the Texas Instrument computers later changed it's name to Home Computer Magazine and added support for many other small computers including the PCjr. Here's a link to an FTP site with all the issues scanned in PDF format for download.

https://ftp.whtech.com/magazines/99er/
Draxxon
Poster3
Poster3

Post by Draxxon »

Thanks guys, these are awesome.