Out for a few days.....

PCjr discussions !
chuckphd53

Out for a few days.....

Post by chuckphd53 »

I have been away from here for a few days.
Tuesday last week had to go to the ER for what turned out to be
a gallbladder STONE, it has been lingering for years since I had my Gallbladder out, and
finally got to 10mm HUGE and was causing pancreatitis , needless to say I was in alot of pain... 1-10 it was a 10....
In the ER they gave me morphine and wow, felt great !

Next day I was in surgery and after 2 hrs I was done but did not wake up for another 2 hrs.....
Funny thing is I remember dreaming after I woke up....probably in the short period after the anesthesia wore off.
There was a nurse sitting next to me and asked 'how you feel' ( kinda funny) but I was a little nauseous and what she did
was a great trick, she opened an alcohol pad wipe and put it under my nose and said breath deep a few times....
Immediately the nauseous feeling was gone..
I asked my wife (retired RN) and she had never heard of this.... but was good to know.... ( this is not a medical recommendations!) : :shock:
But it worked great on me !

I had two Dr's working on me one was a younger 40ish, stomach surgeon that did endoscopy, a real pro, the other was my GI doc that I get
colonoscopy and upper GI stuff.

Well my GI Doc is in his late 60's and never did this before, hence the assist by the younger surgeon that did the endoscopy stuff.
So first time for him to do this. I asked the younger Dr. if he would be close at hand if there was a need ! He 'of course' assured me he would.

Well....when I was rolled in the Oper. room and moved to the main table, arms spread out like Jesus and strapped down,
the guy that was standing there watching over me was about 6'5" and 350lbs HUGE... This must have been the guy that would throw
me around if there was a need... I think he could have lifted a VW mini-bus.
But to my surprise, there was, and what I could see and count, 12 people in that room running around like ants.
Our Op. room is new in the last year and had two huge LED 3ft round lamps over head, they were astounding.
and just beyond them were two 60" Flat Screens next to each other, I assume for the Dr.s to view the scopes as they
probed internal and had fun looking around.

I think we don't can't appreciate that part of the hospital until we see or experience it.
Being an electrical design engineer for 40 yrs, I could surely rest easy seeing the 'state of the art' equipment that was being used !

Well after 4 days I am here back at work and feeling better, still sore on one incision, which my surgeon said it was a good one and would hurt.
but it is getting better.

This has been going on for 5+ years and the stone must have just got too big to go anywhere and decided to settle in a bad tube and block things up.
Worst part started in mid Aug, heating pads always helped, but not this time.

A nice side affect was since then I've dropped 20lbs. :lol:

Still have another week to really get back to 100% I believe but it will happen.

Just a short story, to break up your day !

Chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
RLumpy

Re: Out for a few days.....

Post by RLumpy »

Sorry to hear about the health problems but good to hear you are on the mend and back home.
psergiu
Poster4
Poster4

Post by psergiu »

Had the same operation 7 years ago. I asked for the recording and they gave-it to me on a CD. It's very interesting to watch your own insides getting sliced and poked :)
As a tech guy, it sadden me to find out that the camera, lights and all the cable-operated tools that were inside you get trashed after the surgery - and you paid for them. I can imagine dozens of cool ways I could have reused those. Fix a PCjr without opening the case :)
poobah
Poster1
Poster1

Post by poobah »

10mm.... Ouch!
chuckphd53

Post by chuckphd53 »

Yea it was a pain in the side. literally for about 8 yrs.
Got to big and had to go....
But I feel great, and the side pain is gone....

I suppose in the old days you just lay around in pain until it poisened your whole body and the died..
So thank God for modern medicine and skilled surgeons !

I am grateful 😊....

chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)