NIB PCJR

PCjr discussions !
chuckphd53

NIB PCJR

Post by chuckphd53 »

Was going thru my JR items came across a box that looked taped from the factory..
so grabbed my knife gently broke the sealed tape slid out the hard foam package
lifted had to break the tape again on the foam top/bottom.
Lifted the top foam and to my amazement in side was a NEW PCJR sealed in the bags etc..

I did not even know it was in the mix or better excuse old age is keeping me from remembering all the toys
I have put away...

But to share, seeing the JR New In Box NIB, was like being back in early 1986 when I came home with my
new Jr from my local computer store when I live in Houston....

First thing was to play the JINGLE Disk as it was still early January, holidays ( after Xmas Sale )
and to sit for hours just watching with my son who was 1 yr old.....

ah those days were so great ! and now I just did a 'flashback to '86' and it was a great 'trip' :)

Chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
jneuhaus
Poster4
Poster4

Re: NIB PCJR

Post by jneuhaus »

Nice! My memory is still fuzzy when my dad first brought home our jr. I seem to recall booting to BASIC, typing in a program out of a book and running it and having fun. Then wondering why "save" didn't work. It took me quite some time to type the program in and get it working and I couldn't save it. That was when my dad taught me that I had to boot into DOS first, we didn't have a cassette drive hooked up to the machine :lol: .

I can't wait to let my son and coming soon daughter play around with it when they are old enough.
chuckphd53

Re: NIB PCJR

Post by chuckphd53 »

Yes the good old Cassette recorder........ I think the radio shack recorder was a favorite back then..

TIDBIT: I read and article, back in the day long ago....
they talked about how the design to save 1's and 0's was (if memory serves me ) was 1200hz and 2400hz....
the gripe was that while the system worked fine to record data, the observation was that they used engineer engineers to
pick the frequencies with no concern about getting an audio engineers input which would have exposed the fact
that the first 'harmonic' of 1200hz 'IS" 2400hz !!!

The correct design should have been some Freq off the the 1200hz harmonic...... but with the 1st harmonic and these lower
freq's the issue was not that bad , even tho using an 'poor' fidelity tape deck could cause issues.
Should have been something like 2200hz etc..... but if you think about the ckt design and using a simple freq divider chip
they were most likely looking at the $$ and just picked two Freqs.
(not to get into any physic crap, but again here is the number '12' in our 'stuff' )
But even with this the design worked and we still managed to save and record programs just fine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a great 'rant' for the day, as as you can tell it left an impression as I still remember that article...
Would love to find a copy of that again to post here, so if anyone see's it or finds it share please !

Chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)