Brittle case?

PCjr discussions !
timmcross
Poster1
Poster1

Brittle case?

Post by timmcross »

So got my first PCjr. 2 of the black separators in the ports in the back are broke and some of the pins bent but overall it is still functional. But it was dirty. So I removed the 5 screws to remove the motherboard and the 2 clips on the left broke... I am assuming this is normal for the plastic to be brittle. Anyone else see this as well?

Got the board cleaned up and back in the case. Seems like it still works. Now I just need either a 128k RAM sidecar or will save up for the Jr-IDE...

Tim
New PCjr user...
jneuhaus
Poster4
Poster4

Re: Brittle case?

Post by jneuhaus »

Yeah, the plastic is fairly brittle at this age. I haven't taken my original one out of the case to replace a few old caps for that very reason. And unfortunately the plastic between the plugs is similar and bent pins are not uncommon. Be careful putting cables in and out and make sure you have them lined up correctly, it's easy to misalign them.

Welcome to the club! :)
chuckphd53

Re: Brittle case?

Post by chuckphd53 »

HAHA,,,, yuppers those tabs are OLD like aging legs, they may bend alittle but mostly break....

But as long as the board aligns in the case the few screws do a good job....

Let us know how you like the jr..

Welcome on board
chuck
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)