Corrupted Sub Directory

PCjr discussions !
chuckphd53

Corrupted Sub Directory

Post by chuckphd53 »

I have been working with Turbo7 Pascal this last week.
Files are on a JRIDE Hard drive in a working subdirectory.

I usually backup my work, but last night I just exited and turned off the system as usual.
Today I powered up the Jr and it booted up and all was well, went to my working directory and executed TP7.
TURBOPASCAL loaded up the last set of working files and ugh....
One of them was corrupted... still readable but and the structure was kinda intact.
But alot of the letters had been changed and corrupted... such as, if ( a=b) then now read sf(w*e} eh$m

while about 50% if the file was readable it was trashed...

Pretty sure I can recover the work from an earlier backup, no issue.... but why?

all other files seemed ok, then I did Norton scan and found lots of drive errors...
I was using a 3.5" Maxtor 8G drive... I am assuming it just gave up the ghost...

I had a full backup so I managed to get a 2.5" samsung drive working, just the one file that was lost...

My head wanders back to the JRIDE data lines and the PULLUP/DOWN as possible culprit, but I think since other parts of the drive were trashed
I think I am just being paranoid :)

None the less I will keep full backups and daily work backups as I usually do...

Another day in the life of Legacy Computers :ugeek:
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)
chuckphd53

Re: Corrupted Sub Directory

Post by chuckphd53 »

Got the system back up with the JRIDE and a new Samsung Drive...
Clean format, installed TurboPascal 7, that was a task....
TP7.0 works good..
TP7.01 has an issue with the CRT.ASM file (These are downloaded from winworldpc.com ) and thru an INTERNAL ERROR 200 at start up...
there is supposedly a fix for this but I did not bother just went back to TP7.0...

I also found a file manager called VOLKOV COMMANDER. Was looking for a decent File manager and stumbled upon this.
I tried it in DOSBOX on the site https://archive.org/details/TheVolkovCommander_1020 and it seemed to be pretty nice..

I will try it tonight and see if it actually works on the JR... My main 'like' is to be able to 'SORT' the directories, I know PCTOOLS did this
but when I tried it with a DOM, it corrupted the folders.....so I got rid of it...

hopefully this new V Commander will do the trick.

UPDATE:
Volkov Commander did not work on the JR, it uses the Kybrd INT and INT 21, so my guess is this slightly different on the JR from that of the Standard IBM 5150/60 machines BIOS..
Others with more insight may have more to offer... but it is a nice File Manager if you have a Machine with standard BIOS :)
“I never commit to memory anything that can easily be looked up in a book.” (AE)